Piecing it together



Early Music Today September 2013

Edward Breen dips a toe into the world of kit instruments to investigate how viable an option they are for those considering a new purchase or construction project 
I once saw some lovely shelves in the Conran shop, way beyond the price range of a musicologist of course, but perfect for my needs. I gazed lovingly through the window each time I passed until one sweltering Bank Holiday Monday I bought a similar design, flat-packed, in Ikea for a fraction of the price. Back at home I busied myself searching for those miniature screwdrivers saved from a Christmas cracker whilst my partner sorted the pieces into size order. Yet within hours the fiddly project ceased to amuse us and we merrily squirted the joints full of ‘No More Nails’ adhesive and slapped some duct-tape on the back. After this experience it always seemed wise to avoid anything as advanced as instrument building. However, unless a patron steps forward soon, I really can’t see any other option. I’ll just have to face up to the fact that curiosity may yet kill the cat.

The full text of this article can be found in Early Music Today (September 2013) pp 26-27

Comments

Popular Posts